Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Whoda Thunk It?

************ETA: ok, ok... I'll share the wonder vitamin -- but only because y'all are so freakin' awesome! HA! It's Skin, Hair, Nails by Natrol -- Click HERE - You're welcome, oh, wait - Thank Chic Runner! :)
About two months ago I wrote this post -- Quite humbled by some of your responses, I really did some thinking about my profession vs. the societal stigmas surrounding modern medication for issues such as Anxiety, Depression, etc... I came to the conclusion that if I didn't have an open mind, how could I expect those I counsel to have an open mind... Ugh.

I made an appointment to see a doctor to get a prescription for anxiety. After a lot of research, I found that Antidepressants are commonly used to treat anxiety and again, I had to take a deep breath... I'm not depressed. I kept the appointment.

On a totally and completely different note although completely related, just a few days before I wrote said post, I wrote this post and got a couple recommendations for Dry Shampoo and a link to this vitamin from Chic Runner (one of my FAVORITE blogs :) -- I've always had thin hair that stopped growing at my shoulders and so, I said What the heck!!


I got my vitamins a few days later and started taking them religiously {two at night, one in the morning} -- I think it was 3 weeks later that I really saw my nails growing like weeds:


Sorry it's so blurry

I also got my hair trimmed, just as Chic Runner recommended and my hair felt so freaking soft, I couldn't keep my hands off it which definitely doesn't help the greasiness --

I also noticed something else...

I. had. no. anxiety. None.

I had noticed that it had been almost two weeks since I'd felt my heavy chest, an abnormal sinus rhythm in my heart, felt like I was suffocating and had severe headaches... I felt, normal. It had been nearly 5 years since I'd felt this normal and it took me a couple days to figure it out, but it hit me...

It was the vitamins

I thought No way could one vitamin take all of my anxiety away -- but I've waited an additional month to write this post JUST so I could say Yes. It is the vitamins.

YES! IT IS THE VITAMINS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I looked at the ingredient and what stood out to me was there were 4 different B vitamins:

Thiamin (as thiamin HCl) (vitamin B1) 10 mg - 667%
Riboflavin (vitamin B2) 10 mg - 588%
Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine HCl) 20 mg - 1,000%
Vitamin B12 (as cobalamin) 500 mcg - 833%

I looked up what B vitamin does... It has a strong effect on the NERVOUS SYSTEM!

Deficiency of this vitamin? Deficiency causes beriberi. Blah... blah... blah... and periods of irregular heartbeat !?!?!?!?!?!

When I read this I almost FLIPPED! Clearly my issues were not fatal {although 3 years ago, I thought they were until the ER doctor said "Ma'am, I'm sorry to inform you that you are simply over anxious and that there is nothing seriously wrong with your heart"} Awsome.

What does all this mean?!?

I HAVEN'T HAD ANXIETY FOR NEARLY 6 WEEKS!!!!!!!!!!

I simply had a vitamin deficiency... Whoda Thunk it?

Chic Runner... I'm not sure how to thank you, but my life is forever changed :)

21 comments:

Jon and Steph said...

Wow! That is amazing! I had no idea that vitamins could have such an affect! Maybe I should start taking them more regularly, I have really bad anxiety issues, so maybe this would work for me!

What do you take?

I'm SOOOO glad that you are feeling better and finally found out what the issue was! I know you must be SO happy to finally feel back to your old self. That's fantastic girl!

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Vitamin definicies can really do strange things! So glad you found something!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Hmm...this might be something for me to look into. Although, I take a prenatal vitamin (for nursing) I wonder if this is safe. My nails and hair always get fab when I'm preggo.

Also, tell more about this dry shampoo...my hair has been extra oily lately...or you can email me!

Ms. Salti said...

Yay... good for you. Now you have to share with us what it is you're taking... because I know I could use some extra energy!

Newlywed Next Door said...

That's awesome! My nails break easily -- maybe I will pic some of this up!

Newlywed Next Door said...

That's awesome! My nails break easily -- maybe I will pic some of this up!

Saskia said...

That's such awesome news!! I'm thrilled for you!!

I've been recommended fish oil capsules to help my eyes & eyelids while they're healing... sometimes it's the little things that make a big difference!

Saskia x

Laura @ My Thoughts-Uninterrupted said...

I never knew that vitamins could help with that! I will have to give it a shot. Thanks for sharing.

ELP said...

YAY for you! I think I may have to look into this!

Shaina said...

Wow...this almost seems too good to be true! I'm going to have to try this!!!

Madison Sanders said...

Yep. Vitamin deficiency can cause lots of unwanted things to happen. My mom didn't know her iron was low and she got to the point that she couldn't even get out of bed. Her face started getting these white spots...she looked like walking death.

She discovered her iron was low when she went to give blood. They told her to eat more red meat. She had been on the go a lot and just fixed quick meals with chicken. Now she feels great!

Ashley @ {Let Go, Laughing} said...

That is awesome! I may have to try this to help with my anxiety!

Adventures in Newlywed said...

That's great! I'm going to have to go get some of these vitamins too - my hair never grows fast enough for me :)

Anonymous said...

I just ordered some!!! I've been taking biotin for a month or so and I think it's helping some, but apparently not as well as yours. I'm giving it a try! Thanks :)

Courtney and the Boys said...

That is fantastic!! Glad you found them and that you are feeling so great. And of course, enjoying the benefits of soft hair and gorgeous nails. :)

MissBliss said...

hugs hugs hugs

good to know...

"better living through science," I learned that one from an ER doctor...

I can relate to the funny heart feeling when it's all just too much... glad you are finding good results with the vitamin balance and intake!!!

we have to take care of ourselves... ;)

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better!

MissBliss said...

BTW, have you tried Yogi Teas and TAZO, and Celestial?

I LOVE their "calm" (tazo) and "tension tamer" (celestial)

and all the Yogis for stress work amazingly!!!

Chic Runner said...

Seriously, the vitamin makes your hair grow like a WEED. How do you think my hair got so long so fast! Hey, double bonus for the no anxiety!!!! :) YAYAY! I'm just glad I could help, looks like I'll have to for sure be adding this in my 'what do I do to be so pretty post' which people are asking for which is STRAIGHT WEIRD.

Anonymous said...

How awesome, I will be checking those vitamins out. Did you take any vitamins before you started these?

Cocaine Princess said...

I'm so happy for you!!

Vitamins are amazing and can do so many positive wonders for people. Stay happy!! Stay healthy!!