Thursday, October 23, 2008

I'm not, I'm Dan...

For those of you who've asked...

I was 26 years old, heading to 27 like I was afraid I wouldn’t get there and just beginning to live my life – Having just left a 10 year abusive relationship (not with a man) which I like to refer to as "The Great Break", I was depressed, angry, in deep pain and utterly confused – I had more people telling me what they thought I should do than I have pairs of underwear and so the possibility of hearing my own voice was as likely as a fish understanding English – After six months of this tumultuous lifestyle, I knew the only way to truly find myself was to get away from everything/one that had defined who I was up until that point –


I found myself at my dad’s house for the next 6 months – My parents live in a town of about 500 people, so I knew I was safe from anyone and everyone’s influences (not that anyone knew I was there) – It was the best move I could have made, although the loss of closeness of so many friends was a bit torturous (love you, PA friends!) – I was able to take a deep breath; breathing in peace, acceptance, empathy and again… no opinions – My parents were a saving grace – Then, one year and 5 days from The Great Break, I found myself back in school pursuing my Master’s in Counseling, knowing full well I was there to get the counseling I needed for myself – It worked –


There I was in a new city, not knowing a soul, in my own apartment and living life completely on my own for the first time in my entire life – I stayed to myself for a year… I didn’t want anyone to know me and I didn’t want to know them – I didn’t want people to know my life story, where I’d been, what I’d accomplished or even why I was there at school – I just wanted to be…


It was another year later (for those of you who’ve lost track, it was now two years since the break up) and the few women I had let into my life, pulled me by my bra straps to a “Harbor Fest” for some good fun (did I just say good fun?) – As irony would have it, a few hours into our good fun and just as it was getting dark, I was separated from the girls – As I walked through a claustrophobic crowd of people, I was trying to hear my friend on the cell phone (over music being preformed by Collective Soul) who was telling me We’re over by the tree and as I look around, I see 26 trees (funny, Cynthia) – Next thing I know, I trip over someone’s foot –


I turn to see he is tall, incredibly handsome, blond, and had gorgeous blue eyes – I instinctively say in my most flirtatious voice I’m sorry! He reaches out his hand… I’m not, I’m Dan…


18 comments:

Angela said...

That is such a sweet story!

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

I am so gad you found such a great guy! You guys are super cute together.

Miss Caught Up said...

Hehehehe. I love that! "I'm sorry." and then, "I'm not, I'm Dan."

Awesome :)

Unknown said...

Great story :)

Mick
www.collectivesouldiers.com

Samantha said...

freakin' cutest thing ever!

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful story!

Cocaine Princess said...

You are such a true inspiration for women everywhere. How brave you are to pick yourself up and make something so wonderful out of your life. I am a strong believer of divine timing and things happening for a reason. Your Dan is definitely a gift.
Sweet and lucky girl you are!

XOXO,
CP

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

Thank you so much for sharing! Such a sweet, prince like story! "I'm not, I'm Dan", ahhhh! That picture is sooo cute!!

Mrs. Realife said...

Thank you, ladies! As you have (or haven't read)... while our meeting is very "fairytale" -- Marriage isn't -- We worked hard our first year... and couldn't be more happy --

CP -- Thank you -- My hope is that people are inspired -- I wouldn't share the intimacies of my heart if I didn't think it would help -- I'm also a believer in divine timing and I love that we've "met" too :)

Izzy said...

Awwwwwww!!!! Talk about the stars being aligned :-). Thanks so much for sharing!!

amy (metz) walker said...

Isn't it amazing how the right person seems to always find you when you aren't looking for it?

Sass said...

I love it when you're not looking, and alas, you find.

I was dragged to a party at the "dork fraternity." That's where I met my husband.

I tried to pout, but he wouldn't allow it. He rode his bicycle down the hall to meet me.

Anyway...thank you for sharing so openly. You always make me smile. ;)

Hollie said...

What a great story! so sweet!

thanks for sharing! I love hearing the details!

Courtney and the Boys said...

Wow! What a wonderful story! Glad to meet you through MckMama (I'm the blonde who left the comment that had you in stitches). Have a great Friday!

Oh...dear me said...

Love the story!

Nicole Feliciano said...

Love the love story. Glad I found your blog. To spread some Valentine's Day love, I've got 5 contests running over at momtrends. Here's a link to one:

http://momtrends.blogspot.com/2009/02/babylegs-valentines-giveaway.html

Nicole Feliciano said...

I loved the post so much I just linked up to it here:

http://momtrends.blogspot.com/2009/02/happy-valentines-day.html

Megan said...

What a great story! heehee "I'm not. I'm Dan." heehee